Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Grand Finale

I wrote the letter to my AnnaBella just hours before it was time to go in. The rest of the day seemed like minutes. I would relive them over and over every single day if I could. I'd stop each moment and take a mental picture of every single person I shared it with, especially every second of Hibdon & AnnaBella. 

We arrived about 20 minutes early, this is a really big deal to Hibdon & I, we are both late by nature. We typically arrive right on time or 5 minutes late. Not for AnnaBella, we couldn't wait to meet her. On the way there I thought I might get emotional, a little nervous or chatty. We both were calm, we had no idea what to expect & talked openly about not being nervous or anxious because we just didn't know. 

As we arrived the staff happily greeted us & showed us to our preop/recovery room. They got me all checked in, poked, strapped up & laid down. Handed Hibdon his scrubs & said "buzz if you need anything & Daddy be sure to put those on by 7". The next couple of hours were filled with nurses in & out. Everything from operation, nursery & lactation. They were all incredibly sweet, knowledgeable, & just kind for us first timers. By 6:30 I was able to shut my eyes & by 7 they were there & ready for me. As I got into the surgical room I was overwhelmed by roughly 10 people in scrubs. There was music playing that I didn't recognize. I thought about making a request for something Red Dirt, but then I realized that music may be helping my doctor get in the zone. 

I was sat on the table in a room that felt to be 20 below zero, I shivered uncontrollably, they gave me warm blankets & had me assume my position. My anesthesiologist was AMAZING, he said to be ready for a good sting & then I should feel my feet go numb. I felt nothing more than a flu shot sting & with about 10 seconds numb toes. 

They laid me on the table & got everything prepped. Once they were ready they quickly ushered Hibdon in. He looked a little overwhelmed when he walked in. Dr. N pointed to my head & said "That side of the curtain Big Daddy". Hibdon grabbed my hand & I started to feel pressure. I then had a sharp pain in my neck, I quickly told the anaesthiologist. He reassured me that was normal & gave me a play-by-play. He said "oh I see two cute little feet", the pressure got worse. "There's the body", more pressure. "Here comes the head", pressure was gone. 

The nurse motioned for Hibdon to snap a quick pic. Then she said he could come with her. The anaesthiologist told me how beautiful she was. I laid there as they began to sew me up. Finally, Hibdon came in with ABJ! I cried uncontrollably & he brought her in for our first kiss. The nurses didn't miss a beat & snapped as many pics as possible. They quickly went into another room & I waited & cried. The anaesthiologist gave me gauze & apologized for not having kleenexes. 

Finally, they finished and got me right into my recovery room. In that room sat my whole world. The man of my dreams holding my sweet princess. I held her & loved every second. Hibdon laid her on my chest, she instantly began to nurse & we snuggled for a good hour. After Hibdon & I soaked up our new sweet little family, our parents & siblings came in. They raved, held, kissed & were in awe of sweet AnnaBella Jane. 

AnnaBella Jane weighed in at 8lbs 3oz and 20" long. She has a full head of dirty blonde hair, it's even long in the back. Her chubby cheeks look just like her Daddy's baby pic. When she smiles Hibdon says she looks like me. 

We spent the weekend having loads of visitors. I worked on recovering from a csection & Hibdon worked on his diaper changing skills. We were pretty cozy in our hospital room. 

We had the best nurses we could ask for. The night nurse was a bit chatty, but as kind & supportive as could be. We were sad when she was off duty. The day nurse was a little more to the point, she has four kids. She gave me the best compliment at the end of our stay. She said, " you sure don't act like a first time mom. You are so relaxed & picked up nursing so easily". I quickly reminded her that she keeps me well supplied on pain medicine. She laughed & told me I would be just fine.

That I am, just fine. Everything is more than I could ever imagine.

PS it took me 3 attempts to write this post & now I'm finishing it after a 2:30 feeding. Of course I'm wide awake, quietly listening for AnnaBella's little grunts & breathing. Life is good. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. It is beautiful. You are such a good mama!!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete