Sunday, December 9, 2012

Bo Knows

There is nothing baby related about this post, but I must say I am inspired. Last night Hibdon and I watched the 30 for 30 special on Bo Jackson.  Those specials always sucked us in, but we had been planning on watching this one after a Bo vs. Deon Sanders debate on First Take. So as we are watching the Heisman, (Kudos Johnny Football and congrats to my Aggie Bestest Tator) we see this special is coming up next.  Yes, we live a thrilling life.  In our defense I am pregnant and was incredibly sick.

 I don't remember too much of the Bo Jackson days, I was a little young.  I remember the popularity of "Bo Knows", the cartoon of the athlete super heroes, baseball cards and the posters Big Brother had on his walls. I didn't know why it was so short lived.  Honestly, I thought he probably got himself into trouble and it ended his career.  I was so wrong! Watching this special and the Heisman was just a little too much for my pregnant heart, got me right there, you know?

Bo Jackson was one of the greatest athletes of all time.  He played both professional baseball and football at the same time.  He had principles and stood by them. He is still the only player to play in the Pro Bowl and All Star game.  Just a living legend.  You won't see him in the hall of fame though.  He had a massive career ending injury to end his career early. He was tackle in a small simple way, but because of his pure strength the force of his leg motion dislocated his hip.  He would end up needed hip replacement surgery at 28 years old. He was the only player to come back from that, but it just wasn't the same.

I'm a Coach's kid and can get sucked into these documentaries pretty easy.  Hibdon loves it, it's right up his alley.  I will tell you I could probably watch the Notebook or the biggest chick flick right now and not cry.  However, a sports moment, seeing the stories on Manti Te'o, Collin Klein and watching an eager energetic freshman win the Heisman.  Then seeing the Bo story.  Too much for my pregnant heart.  Can't do it, I get teary.  I stay away from my all time favorite movie right now. For the Love of the Game. I would be a basket case.  I'm weird, I know.  I'm getting used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment