Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Praying for Papa with the Big Hearts

This is the blog where I tell you my overwhelming love for my Daddy, AnnaBella's Papa.  Today I spent the entire day (starting at 4 a.m.) with my Daddy and the staff at St. John's.  Papa had his third lumbar surgery today.  The one performed today was slightly cutting edge.  His doctor hadn't performed this before, so I was slightly more nervous than usual.  The staff was amazing and they went through extra measures to ensure everything went according to plan.  While their plan was great and the surgery went well, it took an hour and a half longer than it was supposed to.  Not cool Doc, I'm preggo, up way too early and my emotions are slightly erratic from time to time.

Last night I got a little anxious to get this over with and Papa feeling good again.  I sent a text to a few prayer warrior friends to get the comfort of a community of believers praying for my guy.  I had a little trouble falling asleep thinking of Papa and AnnaBella.  I desperately wanted this surgery to make him feel good again.  I want him rid of his pain and ailments.  It's very difficult seeing your big strong Papa Bear in pain, not being able to lift things too heavy, not being able sit for too long, not being able to drive in a car too long.  He's always been great at making me feel just like Daddy's girl.  Starting in elementary Papa bought me a mum every year for homecoming, the card would always say "You're my homecoming queen".  He's great at writing letters, he would write me the sweetest letters when he and Big Brother would go on trips.  Still to this day, he wrote me a note giving me a key to the new locks at this house. "You have always had the key to my heart".  I will probably never be too old to get a bear and a rose for Valentine's Day nor will I get too old for the phone call telling me to get home before the weather gets bad. My entire life he has always said I could be whatever I wanted, maybe the first female President.  He stills says that, even though politics stress me out. I can only imagine how Little AnnaBella will be treated.  She's going to be his baby's baby, that's a big ace in the hole. She is probably smiling deviously right now at all the spoiling she is going to receive.

So today when AnnaBella's Papa crossed through the double doors that kept me out, my stomach came to knots.  I was good at first grabbed breakfast and then read a Dixie Cash book to take my mind off of things.  Then I got a call from the nurse saying the surgery has started and things were great. He said he thought the surgery would be finished in 45 minutes, he would call then.  Well, an hour and half came and not a call.  So I continued my prayers and started reading scriptures of faith and healing.  I was NOT going to let Satan shake my faith.  Then out of nowhere, two men asked if someone was with the McCauley family.  I stood up and they introduced themselves as the Pastor of the First Baptist Church and Boys Basketball Coach of Barnsdall.  Now I haven't lived in Barnsdall in 7 years and these are positions that have changed a little, so not knowing them seemed reasonable.  They came to check in on Papa and then asked if I would like to pray with them.  Wow, what sweet relief.  Yes, please, let's pray! I needed that, I needed them to walk in and pray with me.  God just knew I needed that.  So we chatted and then they told me the church would have a special prayer for Papa tonight for healing. They were so kind and I was in awe.  Awe of how quickly God responded to my need and of the sweet, sweet hearts of the people in my hometown.

Barnsdall started out as Big Heart, a very long time ago.  I can't remember the year, but it changed to Barnsdall.  To honor the first name the town has Big Heart Day the last Saturday in May.  I haven't missed it in years, now I don't think I could.  Today these men, who weren't raised in the town, gave me a good dose of home cookin'.  I ate it with a big spoon, it fed my soul. They showed their Big Heart for Papa. So kind.

So Papa finished surgery 2 hours and 15 minutes later.  I grabbed lunch and waited for him to get a room.  Once we were there he was in pain.  I helped him get tons of water and force down a few crackers.  Once he was comfortable and in his silk pjs, we took a 30 minute nap.  After that he was walking around again and had a little food.  Now he won't be running marathons tonight, but hopefully he gets some rest and is released tomorrow.  I'll bring him home and do my best pregnancy nursing possible. For now, this preggo is pooped. It may be slightly early, but I am heading to bed and putting on my oversized Victoria Secret pj pants and one of Hibdon's old baseball t-shirts, the kind with his name and number on the back.  I'll get right in the middle of my California king bed and sleep the crap out of it.

Night Y'all

1 comment: