Tuesday, November 6, 2012

'Merica

Today Hibdon and I took our little Baby H to the voting polls, hopefully like most Americans.  I must say I have anxiety about voting.  I try to be responsible with exercising my right to vote.  Hibdon and I watched all the debates, I read all the reviews on not only the Presidential election, but local candidates.  I reviewed the questions on the ballot, weighed the pros and cons.  I have also been praying for this day.  

For some their votes were easy, they see things clearly with no middle ground. Hibdon and I have both expressed how confused we were with this election.  We both were slightly uncertain, we actually changed our minds after the last debate.  I know there are parties and some Americans are strict to their party decisions.  I believe we were confused at some of the great things our current President has accomplished, but fearful of some the things he hasn't accomplished or wants to accomplish.  We don't see his opponent as a devil in a $1000 suit, nor do we see him as the saving grace to our country.  In elections past I have felt as if it was picking between the lesser of two evils.  Maybe it's my pregnant heart, but I like them both.  I care about them both.  I care that both of them are in positions of power, leading people and making decisions on their behalf.  I pray that they pray, they make each decision with care.  Now I am certain that the above paragraph will offend many people within my family and circle of friends.  I'm sorry, I just don't see it clearly.  What I see is what I wish we all could be.  

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

I wish we all could love like this.  Love doesn't care who you vote for, what party you claim or what box you checked.  It just doesn't, never has, never will. 

I will say I voted, I was proud.  I exercised my right and it felt nice to do so.  I had such a thankful heart walking into a church to do something that others have fought to keep safe. As I was standing in line they called the 1000th voter.  This voter made my heart swell.  He was a very tall, red-headed man.  He was wearing his military uniform.  The building was excited that he was the 1000th voter. I love America. 

Seeing him made me so thankful that I got to vote.  It reminded me that my Papa fought for our country. I have circled around my Mema's dinner table and grasped hands as my aunt prayed over our Thanksgiving dinner, she prayed a special prayer for my cousin Shawn.  He was leaving for his second time to fight, just days later.  I thought about my sweet baby cousin Ricky.  Praise God he hasn't left the luxury of Florida, but his name is on that list. I will fall apart if he's not safe. 

Regardless of who we vote for, in the beautiful picture of life it's a very small image.   I serve a God that loves both parties.  I know Baby H will vote one day and I'm afraid the lines will become even more unclear by then.  My prayer is that Baby H will vote with a prayerful heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment