Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Public Service Announcement

I have a confession.  Oh gosh I am just embarrassed, actually ashamed. I don't even know where to begin.  I just need to rip it off like a band-aid.  Here goes...

Yesterday as I am driving home from work, singing along with the radio and getting excited to head to the polls, my phone chimes.  I have a text message.  I am driving and I have promised, sworn, looked Hibdon straight in the eye and said..."I won't text and drive". I even promised him to use the bluetooth feature every time I am driving.  This was pre-pregnancy folks, you can imagine the sternness in Hibdon's voice about texting and driving in my new condition.

So I ignore it and of course my friendly iphone chimes again to remind me there's a text message waiting to be read.  I try to look out of the corner of my eye to see who it is.  I can't, but I keep thinking I want to read it.  Turn the music up loud to drown the temptation. It did not work.  I caved, I told myself I will just look at my phone.  Just check to see who it is.

Wellllllll, it was my favorite, favorite, favorite friend Kym.  Kym lives in OKC with her hubby Hardin. Hardin and Hibdon played baseball together.  They kept in touch and married amazing women. I am so thankful Hardin married Kym.  I get to spend time with her!  We see them on occasion and it's the BEST time ever.  Hardin and Hibdon are seriously two peas in a pod.  Kym and I just go with whatever crazy scheme they come up with.  We don't go because we are gullible, we go because someone has to reel those two in.  They get a little wild together.  I love the Hardin's and I love that Kym is in my life. She will be a great Aunt for Baby H.

So now that you know Kym, you could understand why I was so excited to see her text.  I couldn't wait to see what it said.  I read it and told myself a quick reply will be fine. Bad right? Texting and driving, such a no-no.  Well, I am so embarrassed to report this, literally ashamed.  I am reliving this event right now and my face is red.

As I hit send on the text message I look up.  I had to slam on my breaks, full force slam.  There was a bright yellow school bus in front of me slowing down to turn.  I was also speeding slightly, just to add icing to my guilt stricken cake. Hey, when in Rome, tell all your secrets. I did not hit the bus I am so thankful to report.  Also, there were no other cars around.  I don't think the kids even noticed.  It was scary for me though.  I did pull over and the event was slow motion in my head.  I calmed my nerves and said a huge prayer.  I thanked God for not letting anything bad happen to that school bus full of kids, I also was thankful that Baby H and I are safe.  As I drove off it hit me that, those were some one's babies on the bus and that was some one's Daddy driving.  How could I be so careless?  How would I feel if that happened to Baby H someday? Praise God nothing happened and I able to learn a valuable lesson without any true consequences.

Moral of the story is it's not worth it people.  It can wait. I will NEVER text and drive again. Won't do it. Man I am going to get an earful when Hibdon reads this.    

1 comment:

  1. You and my husband HAD this in common. He too had a close one. Thank God your safe. :)

    ReplyDelete